About the Staff Engineer, Software role
The role of the Staff Engineer, Software is to develop software for our clients range of wireless chips. This may be either embedded software running on the on-chip processors or associated software running on a host processor. For the embedded software, this involves coding in ‘C’ and assembler within a resource constrained multi-processor environment. Host software is written in a high level language such as C or C++. In both cases, some use may be made of scripting languages such as Perl, Python or Tcl/Expect.
The engineer will join an agile team responsible for delivering software in a highly dynamic environment where requirements are uncertain or are subject to change throughout the course of the project. This role could involve the mentoring of junior members of the team.
Specific responsibilities of the Staff Engineer, Software will include:
• Collaborate with team members to achieve team goals
• Drive requirements capture and refinement
• Contribute to task definition and work breakdown including size estimation, e.g. using story points
• Software architecture and hardware/software interface definition
• Design, develop, document, test and deliver resource constrained software of medium scale and complexity, in accordance with priorities established with the Product Owner and the department’s processes
• Conduct peer design reviews and code reviews
• Maintenance of existing software including defect investigation & resolution, sometimes to challenging timescales as part of 3rd line engineering support
• Participate in or lead occasional external inter-operability and compliance test events.
Note that whilst such events are often overseas, this role will be based at one of our Cambridge offices. This role will not involve frequent travel.
• Degree (or equivalent qualification) in software engineering or a systems engineering course with a software component
• Very good proven understanding of programming languages
• Excellent proven commercial or equivalent experience of C in embedded applications
• Excellent proven understanding of software design techniques
• Excellent understanding of debug techniques
• Very good understanding of software architecture
• Very good understanding of configuration management
• Keen interest in software development
• Excellent team player
• Very good communicator
• Excellent problem solving ability
If you are currently in a software engineering role or are currently working as a Software Engineer or Software Systems Engineer this is the ideal next step in your career.
Benefits on offer
As well as the opportunity to further your career in a leading edge environment, our client is also able to offer you:
• Excellent starting salaries compared to the competitive Cambridge market
• Up to 20% annual bonus
• Company pension contributions
• Share save scheme
• Private medical insurance, life insurance, critical illness protection
• 25 days holiday
• Childcare vouchers
• On-site canteen with free lunch (hot or cold) every day!
• Free on-site gym and corporate gym membership
Job Reference Code – MJH2069
If this Staff Engineer, Software role sounds right for you or you would like to find out more about the role or the company, please get in touch asap.